Marian P. Merritt - Lagniappe

Where the Bayous Meet the Mountains

Monday, June 29, 2015

Donna Robinson - The God of All Tomorrows

Good Monday Morning Readers!

Today, Donna Robinson visits Lagniappe 
to discuss her latest release, The God of All Tomorrows.

Welcome, Donna!


Tell us a little about 
The God of All Tomorrows
This book has a long history. I woke up one morning with a dream running through my mind. My husband and I were in South America, visiting a missionary doctor named Miles Stone. That was all I could remember of the dream, but that little bit made an impression. I sat down and wrote an outline for a novel. Two years later I finished it.

That was in 1995, twenty years ago! I’ll always think of The God of All Tomorrows as a “milestone” in my writing career, for this was the first novel I ever finished.

On a side note to Marian (and your blog readers), the word Lagniappe actually has its origins in Quechua, the language my heroine learned to speak in Peru. It comes from the Quechuan word yapay (meaning “to increase or add”) with the Spanish article la in front of it. A number of Quechuan “loan words” have entered English via Spanish, including cocoa, condor, jerky, llama, puma, and quinoa. 

Donna, thanks for sharing the tidbit about the origin of Lagniappe! It's so cool to learn something new about things that have been a part of our lives for so long! 

What led you to choose the genre in which you write?
I’ve always enjoyed reading sweet Christian romance, both contemporary and historical. In Proverbs 30, King Solomon wrote about four things he didn’t understand, and one was “the way of a man with a maid.” It really is a mystery why two people are attracted to each other. Why are they attracted to that person, and not someone else? I believe God uses those sparks of attraction to further His will in people’s lives.

What is your hope for the readers of your books?
In writing Christian stories, I hope to point readers to a closer walk with the Lord. The theme of The God of All Tomorrows is trusting in God, no matter how bad things look. Several times, Launi and Miles have to learn to trust the Lord for their very lives. If God could come through for them, He can certainly help us with our problems. Just as He helped us in the past, He can guide us in the future.

What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
Writing the book! Seriously, I sometimes have to force myself to sit down at the computer and write the next chapter. To me, writing a rough draft takes a lot of energy—a brain drain, which makes me tired (and I’m getting older!) But I really enjoy editing my work, once it’s written.       

Can you give us a brief summary of your writing process from idea to holding a published book or a download onto your eReader.
After many years of writing, I’ve finally narrowed it down to a process! When I get a book idea, it usually simmers in my mind for a while. If I keep thinking about it, I brainstorm the idea with my daughter, Holly, who is also my editor. (She’s married with four kids, and we’ve been brainstorming together since she was in college.) I work our ideas into an outline of the story, which often changes quite a bit before I’m finished writing the book. When I feel good about the story synopsis, I begin writing. It takes anywhere from four to eight months to write the book, depending on family and/or church happenings. Holly edits it for me, and then I have others read and edit it. As an Indie Author now, I format my own books into eBooks. My husband creates all my book covers, and he formats the books into paperback.

What can we expect from you in the future?
I’m working on a two-book contemporary romance series set in West Virginia. The first book is titled The Ballad of Steffie Mae, and it’s scheduled to come out in October, 2015, Lord willing.

Please include buy links and your website/FB/Twitter etc links.

Website:  DonnaRobinsonBooks.com

Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/Donna-Reimel-Robinson/e/B00J43HJKI/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0


Please leave a question you’d like readers to answer.
In The God of All Tomorrows, Launi and Miles have to trust God when there is nowhere else to turn. Sometimes the Lord “paints us into a corner,” so to speak, and the only way we can look is up. Has this ever happened to you? Have you had a bad circumstance where the Lord had to rescue you, and you saw His hand in the situation?

LIGHTNING ROUND   

Plotter, Pantser, or Planser?     I’m a definite plotter.

eReader or Paper book?   Paperback book

C.S. Lewis or J.R.R Tolkien?    C.S. Lewis, especially the Chronicles of Narnia

For Thanksgiving: Pecan Pie or Pumpkin Pie?   Pumpkin pie

Birthday Card: Email or Snail Mail?   Snail mail


In 1934, Launi Fairfield goes to the jungles of Peru to translate the Bible into an Indian dialect. She thought missionary work would be exciting, but her days are taken up with the tedious translation project.

Miles Stone has been a missionary doctor for ten years. He’s a confirmed bachelor, not wanting to be saddled with a wife and children as he moves around to the different Peruvian tribes. He’s content with his life, until he meets Launi.

Together, they end up having more adventure than Launi ever bargained for. They battle snakes, jaguars, sickness, earthquakes, and an Indian chief who wants to add Launi to his harem. Will they trust God for all their tomorrows?





Donna Reimel Robinson is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. Her publishing credits include Tumbleweed Weddings, published by Barbour, as well as The Knotty Pine Chronicles and The God of All Tomorrows. She and her husband live in Denver, and have four grown children and eleven grandchildren. You can see a list of her books, both digital and paperback, at DonnaRobinsonBooks.com.








Thank you, Marian, for hosting me on your blog!

Donna, thanks for sharing!

Readers, thanks for visiting Lagniappe

I pray you find a 
"little something extra" 
in each of your days!
Marian

4 comments:

Donna Reimel Robinson said...

Thanks again, Marian, for this opportunity. The blog post looks great!

Readers, you can buy the digital version of The God of All Tomorrows at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01076ZPHY

The paperback will be available on July 10th.

God bless, and happy reading!

Unknown said...

Wonderful interview and the book sounds like a really good one. Adding it to my reading list.

Unknown said...

Donna, it was a pleasure to have you here on Lagniappe!

Ann, thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy Donna's book.

Unknown said...

Donna, it was a pleasure to have you here on Lagniappe!

Ann, thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy Donna's book.