Marian P. Merritt - Lagniappe

Where the Bayous Meet the Mountains

Monday, May 25, 2015

James T. Callan - Over My Dead Body

Good Monday Morning Readers!

Today, James R. Callan 
visits Lagniappe to discuss his latest release, 
Over My Dead Body.

Welcome, Jim!

Tell us a little about Over My Dead Body.


Jim:  In this second Father Frank Mystery, a large corporation is seizing land by eminent domain for a shopping center.  In a heated argument with a corporate representative, Syd Cranzler says he plans to file an appeal and tie it up in court.  The next day, Syd is found dead from an overdose of his heart medication.  The police rule it a suicide. Case closed.

But Father Frank, Syd’s pastor, and another member of his church, don’t believe suicide and begin to look for further evidence.  After an attempt on Father Frank’s life, he is more certain Syd was murdered.   But continuing to investigate brings more problems for the minister.

When the priest is almost poisoned, they convince the police to investigate further. Immediately, Father Frank becomes the target of rumors and speculation he might have had something to do with Syd’s death.

The more clues Father Frank and Georgia uncover, the more danger they find themselves in. Can they find the real killer before they become victims? 

What led you to choose the genre in which you write?

Jim:  Mysteries and suspense books are what I like to read.  And I find the task of developing the plots, sneaking in the clues, adding the red herrings, stimulating. 

What author’s books do you enjoy reading?

Jim:  Some of my favorites are David Baldacci, Steve Berry, Caleb Pirtle III, and Stephen Woodfin.  

What do you enjoy doing when you are not writing?

Jim:  We love to travel, and are fortunate to be able to do a lot of that.  We spent last October in China.  Wow, was that a great trip.  After that, we were in Mexico several months.  Travel is great for writers, as it can add to the depth and breadth of your writing.

Do you read your reviews?  Do you respond to them, good or bad?  Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

Jim:  Yes, I read reviews of my books.  I have on occasion sent a thank-you note to the author of a particularly good review (if I have any contact information).  I do not respond to bad reviews.  But, I do read them carefully and ask myself if perhaps I need to address their concerns.  Did I fail to include something I should have?  Was I fair with the reader?  I might be pleased with a good review, but I might learn from a bad review. 

What can readers who enjoy your book do to help make it more successful?

Jim:  Tell their friends about it.  That’s the best advertising you can get.  Of course, they could also give it to friends and family as presents. 

What can we expect from you in the future?

Jim:  I have a suspense book that will be out early in 2016, tentatively titled The Silver Medallion.  It deals with women who are lured to the U.S with the promise of big salaries, but become virtual slaves. I think it is my best book yet.


LIGHTNING ROUND

Plotter, Panster, or Planser?  Planser.

Laptop or Desktop?  Laptop.

Cake or pie?  Pie

Dogs or cats?  Cats

Nora Roberts or Diana Gabaldon?    Nora Roberts 



After a successful career in mathematics and computer science, receiving grants from the National Science Foundation and NASA, and being listed in Who’s Who in Computer Science and Two Thousand Notable Americans, James R. Callan turned to his first love—writing.  He wrote a monthly column for a national magazine for two years. He has had four non-fiction books published.  He now concentrates on his favorite genre, mystery/suspense, with his sixth book releasing in 2014.

  
Amazon Author Page:    http://amzn.to/1eeykvG
Over My Dead Body, is available at:   http://amzn.to/1BmYQ0Q
Twitter:   @jamesrcallan
FB:  James Callan


James, thanks for sharing!


Readers, thanks for visiting Lagniappe

James' question to you: 

What can be done to encourage people to read more, particularly things longer than 140 characters?

I pray you find a little 
"something extra" 
in each of your days 

Marian

3 comments:

Robin B. said...

Sounds like a series I am going to have to check out. Thanks for sharing.

How to encourage reading more than 140 characters? Remove batteries.

Unknown said...

Robin, thanks for stopping by! Yes, removing batteries would surely work!

James R. Callan said...

Robin, you would destroy the younger generation if there were no batteries. Instead of calling them the millennians, perhaps we might call them the battery generation. Thanks for visiting, Robin.