Marian P. Merritt - Lagniappe

Where the Bayous Meet the Mountains

Monday, January 26, 2015

Maria Buscher - Genesis: A Harte's Peak Prequel

Good Monday Morning Readers!

Today, Maria Buscher visits Lagniappe. 

See how an all-girl country band fits into Maria's future!

Welcome, Maria! 

Tell us a little about your book - Genesis: A Harte’s Peak Prequel
It’s the first book I ever wrote to completion, even though Harte’s Peak was published first. Genesis needed a little work, and so before I submitted it I re-wrote it twice. Remember, I said I needed work. I think this story taught me how to write. For some reason I could never give up on it. I wanted other Christian mothers to know that sometimes their teenagers will be difficult, and it doesn’t mean they’ve necessarily done something wrong. It’s a tough situation, and I have personal experience. Writing this book was a little cathartic for me.

If you weren't a writer, what would be another dream job?
I often say I’d be a detective, which is funny to my family since I don’t write mysteries or suspense. That’s too true to life for me, and I like a romantic escape in my books. Still, I avidly watch Dateline every Friday night and often have fingered the culprit long before the end of the episode!

Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing come from?
I grew up with a mother and a grandmother who loved books – there was never a shortage of them in my house. In fact, one entire wall in the garage was a bookcase with so many books it was a little like going to the library. Need something to read? Go check out the garage. True story. I never thought much about being a writer though I loved to read – but in high school I wrote a short story and my English teacher thought enough of it to encourage me. Ever since then the idea sat in the back of my mind where it cooked for a couple of decades. But looking back, I’ve always been a writer – whether it was a journal, long book-length letters to my friends (back in the days when we wrote letters – the 80s, such a cute decade), or little stories that I never completed.

If you could have been the author of any classic book, which one would you choose and why? 
I would have to say To Kill a Mockingbird, because I think it’s such a wonderful and courageous book. It may not be an inspirational novel, but it can’t help but inspire something greater in all of us. I hope that each one of my heroes has a little bit of Atticus Finch in him. 

What can we expect from you in the future? 
I’m working on a series idea right now, about an all-girl country band, and what happened to each one of them after the limelight faded. Spoiler alert: there will be a love story or two!

LIGHTNING ROUND   
Plotter, Pantser, or Planser? Pantser, but more like a Plotser!

eReader or Paper book? Ack! eReader

Steel Magnolias or Fried Green Tomatoes? Fried Green Tomatoes

Biscuits or Dinner Roll? Dinner roll

Debbie Macomber or Nicholas Sparks? Debbie, of course

Crawfish Etouffee or Seafood Gumbo? Gumbo mainly because I’ve no idea what “etouffee” is


What happens when you move three thousand miles away but still can’t outrun the nightmare?Fleeing from haunting memories, former U.S. Marshal Jack Butler winds up next door to his biggest nightmare: an attractive widow and her troubled daughter—a teen who reminds him of a past he’s yet to make peace with. Maggie Bradshaw is struggling to raise a rebellious teen and to forgive in-laws who betrayed her in her time of greatest need…but her new neighbor is a godsend. Her daughter Lexi needs a positive influence in her life, and a law enforcement officer is the perfect choice. Unfortunately, Jack isn’t interested in helping...until a stray dog walks into all their lives. Can God use a grieving daughter and a stray dog with an ulterior motive to bring healing to all?






Maria Buscher writes as Maria Michaels. 
 connect with her on Facebook
Her blog:  www.MariaMichaelsBooks.com.


When early onset stage fright dashed dreams of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame status, Maria Michaels tackled her first book in 2010, and now the people and voices that occupy her head refuse to leave.

She no longer sings unless you count randomly bursting into song to annoy her children (and the dogs).

Maria lives in northern California with her family, including two beagles, one who can say 'hello' and the other who can feel a pea through several pillows.


Maria, thanks for sharing with our readers!

Readers, thanks for visiting Lagniappe.

I pray you find 
"a little something extra" 
in each of your days.


Marian

2 comments:

Maria Michaels said...

Thank you for having me here today!

Unknown said...

You're welcome, Maria! It was my pleasure. I hope "Genesis: A Harte's Peak Prequel" does well!