Marian P. Merritt - Lagniappe

Where the Bayous Meet the Mountains

Sunday, March 12, 2006

What is your bowl of lentil stew?

This was the question posed to us during Bible study a couple of weeks ago. After reading how Esau sold his birthright to his brother, Jacob for a bowl of lentil stew in chapter 25 of Genesis, we were asked to think of the many times we’ve sold our “inheritance” for something less valuable.

Each day of the week I thought of that statement and realized how many times I “traded” my time with God for something less meaningful. A TV program, emails, phone calls, surfing the internet, shopping, lunch with friends, and in some cases, even housework. Did I mention emails?

Each time I did those things before spending quiet time with God, those were my bowls of stew. I had traded my “inheritance” of God’s relationship for something far less important.

One particular day, I’d awaken early and immediately began checking emails. Hours later, I realized I hadn’t spent my usual quiet time with God nor had I completed my lesson for the day. A vivid image of a bowl of stew flashed through my mind. I knew then I’d traded my quiet time. I’d given up what should come first before anything else.

I wonder if Esau ever felt remorse for what he traded. I wonder if he ever truly understood the magnitude of what he gave up. I pray that I’ll always “see” that image of the bowl of stew when I choose to trade my time with God for something else.


Thought for the day: What is your bowl of lentil stew?

2 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

ooooooh good post my friend. I'll have to think on that one

Paula said...

Good post. Thanks.